Monday, August 22, 2011

Love You More- Jennifer Grant


I received Love You More by Jennifer Grant from Book Sneeze and the moment I got it I knew it would be a good one.

Firstly, I like the way the book is divided. The three sections (Starting the journey; Waiting for Mia; Learning to know) are very helpful and the subchapters are great peeks into what it actually means to adopt a child.

Secondly, given the fact that the author and her husband adopted internationally, the adoption required some things to be done and, not to forget, a long wait. I really liked the fact that the author referred to the challenges of adopting internationally (but not only). The blunt way of putting up front the whole process gives the reader and the potential adoptive family the right perspective on what adoption actually means. I was sincerely taken aback, especially reading her story once Mia, her Guatemalan daughter, was home. I am familiar with stories about adoptions and I have read some various blog posts on this, but I always felt that the hard part was left out. The details about the whole process were a great help in understanding what the whole journey meant. Two thumbs up for not painting a perfect pink picture of her adopting experience.

Sharing the stories of her family’s life style and giving the reader a chance to get to know her family better was, beside courageous, very helpful and made the whole book more personal, not just facts and details.

Another thing I absolutely liked that she made a point out of was what she said about people who feel like they need to adopt just to help the less fortunate one in another part of the world, but their heart doesn’t actually incline toward adoption. Just as she said, sponsoring an orphan is the better way to go.

Lastly, the resources at the end of the book are as well helpful. The tips for prospective adoptive parents, the discussion questions, the links and the list of books are great for what I consider to be the first stepping stone for those who consider adoption, for the right reasons. But even if the reader doesn’t, the glimpse into the shocking realities of 3rd world countries is nudging us to do something.

All in all, the book is a great read, a lot of information, but not over the top. The author is good at writing and I liked her sense of humor and wit and especially the fact that she knows how much to share of everything, from family life to worldwide statistics.

5/5

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”


No comments:

Post a Comment