Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Surprised by Oxford - Carolyn Weber. book review


I received this book from BookSneeze and I read it over the course of a few months. I loved this book. I love this book. It’s serious and it’s full of wisdom. I have quite a few quotes I copy-pasted and saved in a notepad document. I read this book on my laptop (e-reader), but this is a book you need to have in your hands. And you need a pencil or something to underline. There is so much good stuff in this book.

Carolyn Weber describes her first year at Oxford University. All her experiences, her conversations with her new friends, her classes are leading her to the One that will change her life for ever and ever. Surprised by Oxford is the story of a woman surprised by God, who learned how to trust Him with all she was. An English literature passionate, Carolyn is a smart cookie and she has some serious question about all this “faith” thing.

The language is a tad bit difficult. Or, if you like to look at it this way, it is highly poetic. That is common for a teacher of English literature, I assume.

This book made me look at things differently. It drew my attention to what really matters. I don’t think this is an easy read, just following the plot, as nice & cute that might be. It is a life-book. I love how the authoress opened up and shared her story. Because every story is different and one never knows where an answer to that burning question might be.

“Let this be the ending of the book but by no means the end of the searching.” -Thomas Merton

4/5

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment