Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Empty Promises by Pete Wilson - book review




I received this copy of Empty Promises I knew it was going to be good. And I was right.
Honestly, I was expecting it to be kind of repetitive. I have read Pete Wilson’s Plan B and for some reason, I thought it was going to be a sequel. I know, dumb.

The book deals with the trap of empty promises and, what I believe, what we have all come to believe to one extent or another. I have found myself in most of the chapters, although when I picked up this book I thought I was surely not for me. Wrong.

What I like the most about this book is that the author is honest and authentic and it helped me as a reader to relate to what he has written in the book. It helped that the tone was not condescending and distant. It was actually a mixture of seriousness and funny. Just the way I like my books. Also, the real-life stories helped a lot. I can’t imagine a book without reality.

Right after I finished reading the book I thought that it was a bit air-y? But on thinking about it and processing it for the review, I have come to realize that it was just the right amount of writing. This book is intended for self-analyzing. For someone who is starting his or her walk as a Christian it is a good starting point, as it unveils the rotten part.  Not to say that those of us who have been Christians for a longer period of time it is of no help. Far from me to say that. I am just suggesting that maybe a deeper work is needed.

I like the way it is structured and it goes easy when you start reading it. It’s easy to follow, and although the chapters are divided in sub-chapters you can keep track of everything. The “empty promises” the author has chosen to discuss are well chosen, and though it’s not my intention to generalize it, I would go as far as to say that most people can relate to them.

All in all, I did enjoy this book and have absorbed the information like a sponge. I must report that my copy is now a highly underlined copy.  

4,9/5 

I received this copy of the book from BookSneeze and all the opinions are my own.