Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Love Does by Bob Goff. Book Review


Love Does is my favourite kind of book: little stories from a person’s life. I love the concept of the book and also the way the author, Bob Goff, manages to point to God through every story.

Although I understand where he’s going with the whole idea of love does, putting things in practice, not just talking about them, I sensed this was a bit too simplistic. I simply can’t imagine people being so easily involved in the kind of projects he talks about when referring to love does. For the average person simpler, average deeds of love are more likely to be possible.

Also, I am not sure I am comfortable with the way he approached the whole faith things. He seems to be talking about God and spiritual matters a bit too easily. I cannot believe I’m saying this, since I usually don’t read them too carefully in a book, but I couldn’t help but notice there weren’t many  Bible verses he based his argument upon. This isn’t that big of a deal, but for someone looking for a Biblical argument, it might matter.

All in all, I liked it. The author is funny, the writing is simple and the reader can step into the stories. Choosing to start each chapter with a story is a great way to illustrate what he (the author) wanted to point our attention to.

4/5

I received this copy from Thomas Nelson, BookSneeze, to review. All ideas are my own.