Friday, May 1, 2015

Nobody's Cuter Than You by Melanie Shankle - Book Review

When I heard that Melanie Shankle was writing another book, Nobody's Cuter Than You, of course I knew I was going to buy it. I remember when I bought her first book. I didn't have a credit card back then and I wanted to buy it from Book Depository, so I asked my friend Bianca to buy it for me using her dad's credit card. Many a book were bought like this over the years. Good times. As I mentioned in the previous post, this third book of hers was a present for my birthday. To be honest, I was a bit afraid I wasn't going to like the book, but of course this was an ungrounded fear. I really liked this book, and I will join the rest of the fans and agree I liked this one better than the first two.
Who will like this book? Definitely those who have friends, duh! Also those who are children of the 80s and enjoy some good 80s references (I'm not a kid of the 80s, but whatever), those who take no offense in sarcasm, and can appreciate a sarcastic joke. I laughed a lot while reading this book. I would read my book and suddenly come to a line that made me burst into laughter, and by the time I reached the end of the sentence I would burst into laughter at least once more. Then I would read that sentence again because it was too good to get over it that quickly.
What's the book all about? Melanie's friends. It's mostly about her best friend of almost 25 years, Gulley, as she calls her. The stories in the book cover Melanie's important friendships over the years. The book makes you want to read more and more. Their friendship, Melanie and Gulley's that is, is something that I am sure all people want and I absolutely loved reading their story. I have "known" her friends from reading the blog, but it was nice to have a more behind the scenes look at their stories and lives. I'm a curious person so this fed my curiosity.
I keep saying that the authors whose books I have read from the moment they released their first book keep getting better and better. This is the case with Melanie Shankle. This book really is better, and I am sure the next one will be even better. I am positive that if she'd read this she'd think "OK, right, no pressure." with a sarcastic tone. There is a reason why her blog is in my feed and her books in my library, and this book on friendship confirmed that reading her words is a good thing to do indeed. I am also currently reading a book that makes me miss fiction so! much! Melanie's book was a reminder that what I actually miss are stories, and she is really good at telling them. Thank you, Melanie!
Below is the book trailer, which is just lovely. Included are photos of some of her blog readers together with their best friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment