Monday, June 1, 2015

Sand in my Sandwich - by Sarah Parshall Perry: Book Review

I approached Sand in my Sandwich knowing it's a moms book. Despite me not being a mother, I read it. When I requested this book I thought it was a book about kids' funny things and sayings, and although the author does mention some of these, it's more than that. It felt like it was more like a "writing therapy" for the author, not a how-to book for parents. She has three children, two of whom are special needs children. In the beginning she keeps mentioning that her life is "a mess". I am sorry I have to admit my judgment, but I internally rolled my eyes at her mentioning of "a mess". Then I kept on reading and I completely understood why she uses this term. But despite all her hardships, the tone of the book was nothing like a beat down mother or a whiny person. The author kept pointing to God, not necessarily in an obnoxious way, but in a I-am-nothing-without-God-and-I-know-it kind of way. Her book is honest and there is something to learn even by the not-yet-a-parent reader.



I received an advanced reader’s copy via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed here are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment