Saturday, January 9, 2016

What I've Read Lately #2

I am thinking of trying to post a list of the books I finished reading, and maybe write what I thought about them.

After I finished reading All the Light We Cannot See, I picked up Shonda Rhimes' The Year of Yes. I think I decided to read it because I saw a book trailer for the audio version. I didn't listen to the audio book, I read the book. I don't particularly like this genre of books, but since I will forever associate Shonda Rhimes with Grey's Anatomy, and because the TV show is on a break at the moment, and since I had some free time due to all my days off from work, well - I read it. It was OK. She tells about her decision to say yes to things she would normally decline. Shonda goes through a list of things that she agreed to do and apply to her life. I think that what I liked best about this book was her awareness that she will never please anyone with her decisions and lifestyle, but she can try and live in a way that she is content with herself. I don't agree with all her life choices, but it was good to see a different perspective on living.

I first started reading this book many months ago, but for some reason I left it aside. I think it didn't spark my interest. However, I began reading it again last month and it was more appealing. A book about the end of the world as we know it, at the end of a year, was the perfect choice, although I didn't know what the book was about before I began reading it. Due to a virus that creates the Georgia Flu, millions of people die, technology crashes, and so do all the advancements of the world up to this point. The people that survive are left to scrap a living in the dire circumstances of the new world. What I liked best is that the novel follows different characters that are linked to each other. I always like books that start by presenting a number of people from different backgrounds, apparently having nothing to do with each other, but in the end you see the connection. This was the case with this book, too. Because of Arthur Leander's death, many characters became connected and their lives overlapped, such as Jeevan Chaudhary's, Kirsten and the Traveling Orchestra's, and many others'. It was a book that I enjoyed reading very much.

*** 

Somehow, back in December I decided to take a break from Net Galley. I think the reason was that it became a chore to review books, and the days off from work sparked the desire to read the books I wanted, but wasn't supposed to review. Just like it happened during my school years, but this is the employed adult on vacation version. I like the reading part, but not so much the coming up with over the top amazing reviews; I'm not good at writing such reviews. Although I discovered some cool books, I am taking a break. I am currently reading a sequel of a book that I discovered via Net Galley, so thank you, Net Galley for the great reads of 2015! I will be back, though, I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment