Friday, March 11, 2016

I am N - The Voice of the Martyes Devotional: Book Review

When I was a little child in Sunday School, I remember we learned about Corrie ten Boom, and Charles Studd. Bits and pieces of their work as missionaries are still well instilled in my memory. While reading I am N, I was reminded of these two great people of faith. We sometimes think great missionaries are something of the past, but everyday there are men and women who are engaged wholeheartedly in what God has called them to do. I am N tells the stories of these people, but more than that, it points to their miracle-working, soul-saving God.

This book is a collection of real life stories published by The Voice of the Martyrs. It read more like an essay, with a short, to the point telling. We keep hearing about the Christians being persecuted in the Middle East, in the Islamic and Arabic countries, and this book made those stories real, not just news on the Internet. 

The book is structured into six main parts, each dealing with a specific theme: sacrifice, courage, joy, perseverance, forgiveness, faithfulness. Some of the stories are stories of encouragement, some are raw, but all point to the important thing of the Christian faith. All the people presented in the book are simple people, going about their lives, but with a mark on their backs because they chose Jesus. It's easy to talk Christianese, so to say, in the free West, but for the Christians in the East the choice to be a follower of God requires total surrender. It truly is inspiring and it sure made me ask some questions and try to refocus my priorities. 

At the end of each main part there's a section titled Martyrs in History. It was probably my favorite part! We get to learn a bit more about some well known or maybe lesser known people of the Christian faith. This part would be a great tool for teaching children about the martyrs and missionaries, or at least a good starting point.

This is not an easy read. At point I opened the book just to speed up the reading and finish the book, but you know the words are not fiction, the events do happen everyday, and this changed the way I approached the book. However, I did finish it, and I can say it's a book that would be eye-opening for those who want to know more about the Christian faith, as well as about the persecutions that go on around the world against the Christians.

I requested this book from Net Galley in exchange for a review. I have read an e-book copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment