Tuesday, March 29, 2016

When I'm Gone - by Emily Bleeker: Book Review

When I'm Gone follows the life story of Luke Richardson and his three children, Will, May, and Clayton, after the death of Natalie Richardson, Luke's wife. It's a nice read, it is sad, but also hopeful, with the promise of healing after a tragic loss, and a brighter future. 

Although it is not an original premise on which the book is based on: one of the partners in a marriage dies, and leaves behind letters for the mourning spouse, the novel moved beyond this. While they were important in the beginning, the letters lost their interest (for me at least), and I was more interested in what the characters did and how they deal with everyday life. Half way through I thought I knew where the book was headed to, but I was wrong. While there were some too slow-paced parts, my interested was still piqued. It was, for example, obvious where the author wanted to lead the developing friendship between Luke and Annie Guerilla, Natalie's best friend. However, I didn't expect the connection Luke found between Natalie, her professor and former pastor, and their current nanny. It was a nice surprise. While Luke and Annie were characters well penned, the other characters seemed a bit lacking, but still somewhat credible. 

While it's not original, When I'm Gone is a good read, a novel dealing with the loss of a beloved one, and the way life carries on after they are gone.

I received an e-book copy of this book via Net Galley. All thoughts and opinions expressed here are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment