Monday, April 18, 2016

The Gift of Friendship - by Dawn Camp: Book Review

The Gift of Friendship was a truly inspiring book for me. I don't always think that about a collection of short anecdotes and personal sharing about a topic, but this was different. 

Dawn Camp, the editor of this book, is an (in)courage contributor, and along with other (in)courage contributors and some other well known online figures, she aims to reveal stories about how much one really needs a friend.

The book deals with different topics all having to do with an aspect of friendship. Whether it's about learning the art of hospitality, pursuing friendship intentionally, being vulnerable, going out there and making new friends, or recognizing our very first friends who also happen to be our family, there is something in the book for everyone, no matter the life stage the reader is in. Sure, I didn't relate to every story, but there was something in each section that spoke to me, and made me more mindful of the role I have as a friend, and the responsibility I carry.

Each chapter ends with a quote, or a Bible verse that sums up the chapter. As a lover of quotes, I thought those were such a nice touch at the end of every chapter.

The writers seemed honest and open in their sharing. The entries are not necessarily new, nor recent, some might have been first written for a blog, or another social platform, but they were written thoughtfully. I really liked the short chapter format. It was easy to read, the chapters were concise, and very much to the point, without unnecessary beating around the bush.

As a side note, this book made me a bit more interested in the (in)courage community, and the writers that contribute to the blog daily. I used to follow the blog closely, but over the time I stopped following along. This book made me miss it, and maybe I will make it a habit to read and let myself be encouraged (in)couraged again.

I have been thinking about this whole friends thing lately, and this book came at the right moment. It encouraged me to invest in friends, to be a better friend, to pray for my friends, to listen, to care deeply and genuinely, to help them grow into who they are supposed to be. It's not always easy being a friend, but at the end of the day, it's always worth it. All the pictures and all the memories you collect over years prove just that. 

I am grateful I had the possibility to read this. It was a perfect timing kind of book.


I received a free ebook copy of this book via Net Galley. All thoughts expressed here are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment