Friday, June 3, 2016

Wild and Free - by Jess Connolly & Hayley Morgan: Book Review

This book was talked about so much on social media that even though I was reluctant about giving it a try, I did request it from Net Galley eventually. 

From the perspective of someone who's been raised in a Christian home, embraces the Christian principles, and knows her status as a child of God - well, this brought little perspective. Sure, there were some nuggets that cemented what I already knew, they were like a friendly reminder when you lose track of something important.

Trying to look at this from the perspective of someone who is not living and breathing "Christianese", yes, this is a good starting point toward understanding and grasping the position one has in Christ. The book tries to make clear that there is room in Christ for everyone, for those who are on the wilder side, have a bigger personality, are ready to think grand, people who sometimes think they need to take it down a notch, and also those who are learning to shed their fear and live freer. For those trying to figure out the Christian life - yes, read this book to see someone else's story and journey of faith.

Since this is a book written by two authors, and this is great since they have such different personality, it was good to see two voices complementing each other. This makes the book apply to more than one category of readers. My favorite thing is that each chapter has a short response from the other author. I knew nothing about these two authors before I read this book, but their deep friendship, they way they encourage one another was another thing I thought was wonderful about this book.

However, at times it felt a bit all over the place. Maybe it was just me, but I felt that some ideas were repeated over and over, and I lost track of what subject was discussed at the moment. Moreover, it felt at some point that there is no clear distinction between the things the two authors were saying. Truth be told, I got slightly bored by the time I reached the half of the book.

This book is certainly a good read for those who aren't that familiar with the Christian life, but for the others, those who are familiar and supersaturated with all the Christian books that seem to write about the same thing, well, maybe not the book for you. 

2.5/5 stars

I requested and was granted a free ebook copy of this book from the publisher via Net Galley. All thoughts expressed here are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment