Monday, August 29, 2016

Pancakes in Paris - by Craig Carlson: Book Review

Title: Pancakes in Paris
Author: Craig Carlson
Publishing Date: September 6th 2016
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Page No.: 320

I was surprised to see I didn't get bored while reading this book. I am not one interested in reading about people's businesses, about how they fulfilled their dreams and passions, and the process of all that. What drew me to this book was "pancakes". This is what set in motion the narrator's business idea, too: to open a classic American diner outside US, in Paris, France.

It sounds charming and exciting, but reading about all the things he had to go through to make it happen makes one realize this was no small task. I appreciated his honesty and openness: he wrote about his bad decisions, his failed attempts to make ideas work, his missed opportunities in love - all these give the book authenticity.

I read this book at a point in my life where I needed a nudge to go after what I want. This sure is a nudge, but a realistic one, telling you bluntly that there is no place for dreamers, but only for workers who are willing to roll their sleeves and get to work. By telling his life story and letting the reader in by revealing the background of his childhood, the author makes the book even more personal and honest. I liked how he looked back and saw how all the hard things in his childhood and early years of adulthood were teaching moments for what he planned to make in Paris.

This memoir is a recommendation for those interested in opening their business or reading about the behind the scenes of a restaurant running, those interested in food, and those who like a straight-forward told memoir. 

I received a free ebook copy of this book from the publisher via Net Galley. All thoughts expressed here are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment