Wednesday, November 2, 2016

The Heart of Henry Quantum by Pepper Harding: Book Review

The Heart of Henry Quantum by Pepper Harding reads like a stream of consciousness novel, and that I loved! It's been a while since I read a book that had that feel of mingled thoughts, so this was a lovely surprise. It was my favourite part of the book.

I felt bad for and I also scolded Henry Quantum. I felt bad for the life he created for himself, for his inability to break free from the path he forged for himself. I scolded him for the choices he did make and did not make, for the clumsiness he embraced as a lifestyle. His inability to just buy the perfume, already! bothered me throughout the novel.

I didn't care much for his wife. I didn't like her, though I don't blame her. She is downright mean and racist and horrible to everyone she decides is inferior to her.

I was honestly expecting and hoping for a different ending. The ending the author chose felt like the beginning of a life that will be the same for the main characters, but with different partners by their side. I mean - cheating spouses. Predictable and slightly annoying.

It was particularly pleasant to see the characters names, which would make for a lengthy interpretation and discussion. Henry - such a common name, but then you learn his last name - and as you read the novel it makes sense that this is his name. Margaret and Daisy - how similar, despite what the characters claim. I didn't care much for the philosophical parts of the book, it felt like they didn't lead anywhere, but it is to be expected from a person like Henry.

I wasn't very impressed with this book, but it had its quirks that made me keep reading. I wouldn't compare it to Love Actually, nor to A Man Called Ove (though I haven't read the book, but I am sure this wouldn't be Fredrik Backman style in the book). Why they insist on comparing every new book published with a best seller that was original in its genre is beyond me! But that's a talk for another time.

I received a copy of this book in an e-book format from the publisher via Net Galley. All thoughts expressed here are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment