Saturday, December 31, 2016

Advent in Narnia - by Heidi Haverkamp: Book Review

I am not one to pick up a devotional easily - I find the practice of devotional reading too daunting and stress-inducing. However, this is a devotional that has in its title the word "Narnia" and I happen to like the series (though I haven't finished them all). 

Starting on the first day of Advent, this devotional offers a Bible verse, a suggestion for what chapter to read from the first published book in the Chronicles of Narnia series, namely "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe", a meditation connecting the Bible verse and the events in the suggested chapter, and two or three questions for reflection. It's an easy thing to do, and I even managed to read them daily up to day 19. (Success!)

After the 28 days of Advent, the book offers suggestions for a discussion group leader, suggestions for Narnia based activities as a group or family night, some recipes, and other activities ideas. It has a cozy feel about it, and its simplicity manages to prepare you for the important celebration of Christmas. I read this on my kindle, but to read it on paperback would enhance the reading experience, in my opinion. It would be great to go through this every year in preparation for Christmas. 

5/5 stars.

I received a free ebook copy of this book from the publisher via Net Galley. All thoughts expressed here are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment