Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Never Unfriended - by Lisa-Jo Baker: Book Review

Author: Lisa-Jo Baker
Pages: 208
Publisher: B&H Books
Release Date: April 4th 2017
(In)Courage site: (in)courage.me


This was a slow book for me. It took me a month! to finish this 200something pages book. It was slow!

It starts with the idea that with one right or left swipe we can make or break a friendship. Completely agree. The topic is not bad. Although this is not the first book I've read on the topic, there were some new insights the author shared that made sense. I have never read a Lisa-Jo Baker signed book before, but I like her writing style. She's funny, but without distracting from the point she's trying to make, she's honest in a comforting way that helps you as a reader relate, she's encouraging and ready to give a pep talk.

There were a lot of quotes from other authors. It was nice to see what they had to say, but at times it felt as if there were too many and she kept repeating their words. Yes, they fit the context, but maybe less quoting? However, this was mostly seen in the first part of the book. The second part was focused more on a practical side of friendship, on the author's experiences, on snippets of her life and her friends'. I am all for an author sharing concrete pieces of life to make a point clearer.

I don't know why this book was a slow read. I do recommend it mostly as a group read among friends, but not exclusively. The observations she makes and the new to me angles she looks at friendship from make this a timely book.

I received a free e-book copy of the book from the publisher via Net Galley. All thoughts expressed here are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment