Wednesday, May 24, 2017

On Edge - by Andrea Petersen: Book Review

Title: On Edge: A Journey Through Anxiety
Author: Andrea Petersen
No. pages: 320
Publisher: Crown
Publishing Date: May 16th 2017

As someone without a background in medicine or psychology, I'm pleased to report that it all makes sense for this unsophisticated reader. It didn't read like a scientific book, but like a story told by someone who knows about the personal and relational implications of anxiety. I especially liked the parts where the author told about her life.

I only felt slightly lost at the history parts in the beginning and during the "medication" chapter. But don't abandon this book because of this. However, she had my full attention when she mentioned researches and experiments. While I don't think I'll ever be able to remember much info to show off at a dinner party, the book helped me see anxiety from a different angle. It made me more sympathetic and aware that just like the word "depression", "anxiety" or "panic attack" shouldn't be loosely used. And shouldn't we all learn how to show more sympathy?

I highly recommend this book to anyone, whether they know someone dealing with anxiety or not. If it seems too hard to grasp in certain parts, persevere and do your fellow humans a favor and learn more about this mental affliction.

I received a free e-book copy of this book from the publisher via Net Galley. All thoughts expressed here are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment