Monday, June 19, 2017

Anything Is Possible - by Elizabeth Strout: Book Review

No. Pages: 272
Publisher: Random House
Publishing Date: 25.04.2017
Format: Kindle

What I didn't like:
Every.single.character. was downright sad or pity-worthy. Even the characters who posed as happy or content were, actually, ridden by a deep issue. Not to mention, everybody in this novel has a mommy, daddy or sexual-nature issue. And it's just sad that all the poor people seem to have these problems. It felt a bit judgmental, but who am I to judge? Makes one have a lousy opinion about the human race. Just pick another human issue, goodness!
It left me with a bitter taste and in a funk, not in the mood to enjoy life, if that makes sense.
Clearly, I am not the target audience for this book. Also, I think it would have been better if this was written/ published before "My Name Is Lucy Barton".
 
What I liked: I wouldn't consider this a novel, but more like a short story collection, with one common thread: Lucy Barton. I've always liked books that are constructed that way.
I also thought that the book was written in a natural way, that is as if the author was telling the story of what happened. It also had a stream-of-consciousness feel about it, which was nice to see.
However, these are not things that redeemed this book.

It was not my cup of tea, thankyouverymuch. Maybe I would have appreciated it more were I in my middle-age stage of life?

Glad I didn't have to pay for this book since I received a free e-book copy from the publisher via Net Galley. All thoughts expressed here are my own.

1*/5

No comments:

Post a Comment