Friday, June 2, 2017

Secrets of Souther Girls - by Haley Harrigan: Book Review

Author: Haley Harrigan
Publisher: Sourcebooks
No. Pages: 400
Release Date: 6.06.2017

Another beautiful, blond, smart, and innocent girl left a secret behind. Thank God she wrote a diary before she died, and we can read her diary entries to learn her bad, dark secret! Of course, three people feel guilty of her death, but they are not, shocker, guilty.

This is, in a nutshell, the novel. Despite my sarcastic tone above, I kept reading even when I hit the clichés of the novel. Reba, the dead girl, did nothing for me. I read her diary entries with curiosity, as I did the rest of the novel. I don't know if I will remember this book forever, but I was interested to learn what really happened. Probably the secret is to read it in big chunks at a time, to give yourself the chance to be drawn in.

Julie, the best friend, did not impress me. A character that after ten years cannot move on never impresses me. Most of the times it felt like she was moping around and being over-dramatic.
August was OK; he existed as a collateral victim, another mopey of the novel.
I agree with who said Toby, the cousin, was the best constructed character. I was fooled into not liking him in the beginning, but that changed when he became more substantial as the novel progressed. Despite his mopey-ness, I enjoyed reading the parts he was present it.

It's a nice read, although the plot doesn't seem original. Bits and pieces read in other novels in various forms. The author can write, that is certain. There were some parts I didn't expect, and all in all I enjoyed this book.

I received a free e-book copy of the book from the publisher via Net Galley. All thoughts expressed here are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment